Tambellup’s original settler was Mr Josiah Norrish, who took up property east of the present town site in 1872. Mr Norrish originally concentrated on sandalwood cutting but later became involved in sheep breeding. Following the opening of the Great Southern Railway line in 1889, settlers began to arrive and the townsite was declared in 1899.
Tambellup Heritage Trail
A series of three interconnecting trails that start in the centre of town take in much of the history of the early settlement (brochures available at the CRC and Shire office). The Town Trail is a loop that follows a 600m self-guided walk with information boards and plaques along the way. The River Trail is to the north of town and is more than 2km in length. The stories are told on orientation boards at the start and in the brochure. The Noongar Trail is 1.5km in length. It is south of the town along the Gordon River and takes in the landscape of the river and reserve.
Corner Shop Museum
The museum is situated in the old Stationmaster’s House adjacent to the railway line on Norrish Street. Rooms have been recreated using furniture and artefacts of bygone years. For a viewing, please contact Anne-Marie Lockyer on 9825 1162.
Centrally located, the park has a shaded children’s play area, outdoor fitness equipment, free BBQ and toilets. Located on the corner of Crowden and Taylor Streets it is a fantastic place for a picnic or to take a break from your long drive.
Tambellup Community Resource Centre
The main hub of the town, located in a building more than 100 years old and originally run as a “Gentleman’s Club” it still has original historical etched windows and interior fixtures.
Railway Water Tank
This feature is one of the few remaining links to the days when the Great Southern depended on steam trains. Unfortunately, the tank is now gone but the tank stand remains. Just to the north of the tank are indicators from the 1955 and 1982 floods to show how high the Gordon River rose. It is very hard to imagine.
The school is now 100 years old and features the original blackboard and desks. The school is preserved by neighbouring families and is well worth a visit. It is located along the Toolbrunup Road (4km south along the Great Southern Highway) and is used widely for picnics, meetings and even the odd wedding.
St Peters Church
Located on Pindellup Road, the little church in the bush is over 100 years old and is lovingly cared for by neighbouring farming families. Services and social gatherings are still held here and the Pindellup cemetery is located a short walk or drive north of the church.
Gordon River Weir and Picnic Area
Located on Tambellup West Road the weir area and the river upstream are home to a large population of black swans who return annually to feed in the shallow water. A great place to stop and observe these majestic birds.
(08) 9825 1010
(08) 9825 1105
(08) 9825 1010
Tambellup Post Café
(08) 9825 1169