The area was first settled in the 1860s when pastoralists started grazing sheep near Round Swamp. With its mild temperatures and good rainfall, it was ideal sheep country. The townsite is located on the Great Southern Railway line, and the siding was established in 1891 and shortly afterwards the government made land available for agricultural purposes in the area. The town name, originally called Round Swamp, was changed when the town was gazetted in 1893 and is named after a town six miles from the Honourable JA Wright’s birthplace in England.
The lake has facilities for water sports and a picnic area.
Traveller’s Rest Bed and Breakfast
0428 077 353
Tenterden Top-Up Roadhouse
0478 007 540